Friday, January 15, 2010

Courage

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear." - Nelson Mandela

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh...this week hasn't been the greatest week. I got a cold and I blame my little brother who was sick last week. I did something really brave (at least for me) and am waiting to find out the outcome.

I wrote an entry about how I wanted to live my life from now on and it comes down to living courageously, not by being fearless but by overcoming my fears one at a time. We spend our lives wanting to do all these things, but there is something holding us back, and most likely that something is fear. Fear is a dream stealer and a deal breaker. We have all these regrets because we cannot move past the fear in our mind, which is probably scarier than the real thing.

We don't tell people we love them because are afraid of being rejected or/and hurt. We don't go to places we long to go because we are afraid we are not capable of such things. We don't go after our dreams because we fear that we will fail or that they won't come true. We...you get my point. There is something we all want in our lives and most of us let our fear(s) keep us from going after them.

You see it is not about being fearless, we are all human beings so fear is a part of our makeup. Sometimes fear can help us but most times it hurts us. Then we are left wit regrets that pile on day after day, year after year, until we are buried in regrets. I don't want to live my life like that, so I have been trying to overcome my fears one step at a time. If there is something in your heart you want to say or do then by all means make it happen.

Being brave or having courage isn't an easy thing, and even after you might (like me) wonder what the hell have I just done, but if you really think about it do you regret doing the things you wanted to do, or the things you didn't have the guts to do? Even if you get hurt, you are stronger for it. Even if you make a mistake, you learn from it. Even if you fall/fail, you pick yourself back up and try again.

Life is about the choices we make, only you should be the captain of your fate. You might just be surprised by how wonderful it feels to finally to that things you've been aching to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment